The story of a young chiropractor that ditches the American rat race to introduce her profession to Vietnam



Monday, November 8, 2010

Some Hanoi-Ances

I was walking down a street, and man bolted out in front of me, stuck one finger over his left nostril, and sent a snot bullet whizzing past in front of me.  It happens a lot.  No need for Kleenex over here.  Thanks for helping me work on my limbo!
It was pointed out to me by another American that many men have super long thumb fingernails.  We commiserated on the fact that it must be used to scratch deeply into itchy areas.  

I’m not sure if it expresses gratitude for a great meal, but I have a hard time concentrating on palatable pleasures when I can hear people eating from across the room.  Most people eat with their mouths open, smacking their chops happily with absolutely no self awareness.  I know this, because I can’t stop staring at them, as if my pleading eyes will make them stop.
Sometimes people just break out into song as they are hangin’ curbside, and they are singing with their eyes closed and all their heart.   And it's just plain amusing.
I get mad when people can’t understand me.  I know it’s wrong to get upset.  I come to their country and they can’t speak MY language!?  Just part of why I made myself do this in the first place.
I was in a tiny shoe shop and the shopgirl just lit up on a cigarette.  Can’t escape cigarette smoke here : (


I saw a man get hit by a bus trying to make a three point turn.  He was standing with his back to the bus, smoking a cigarette.  The look on his face when he realized he was being run down by a bus was priceless.  He went to the window to chew the driver out, and the driver laughed and drove away.  
It is normal for someone to hock a loogie on the street in mid conversation with no shame and continue the conversation.


You guys just had daylight savings and I went from 12 hours from Texas time to 12 hours from Carolina time.  I guess Vietnam can't be bothered.
Observations thus far.
Oh, one more that I can only speculate on; calling the cable guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment